Sunday 1 July 2018

What inspires you to do good?

Me (muslim), my friend (L, an agnostic) and another friend (V, who was hindu) had a discussion about the role of religion in our daily lives.

L asked a simple question
"As a religious person, why do you do good?"

V answered first. She explained how the afterlife is an important part of her religious beliefs. How she wishes to attain goodness in the next life and so is inclined towards good. 

L seemed dissatisfied.

She then asked me the same question. 

I'm young. Death and the afterlife isn't something that I think about daily. Yet I still want to do good. 
So what drives me?

My response-

A lot of muslims would respond as V did. The desire to attain heaven and to avoid the hellfire keeps us on the right path. But to be driven by that only, in my opinion, indicates a lack of understanding. I love God. 
I wish to spend my life in his service, out of love for him. And it is that love which drives me to do good. He loves us more than a mother loves her child. Would you do good for your mother for material reward? Or would you do so out of love for her, with the desire to make her happy? 

Reward or punishment only goes so far. It is merely a safety net, referred to when we have distanced ourselves from him and his love no longer can be felt (during times when the heart is hardened). It does not influence us in performing acts of love and kindness in our day to day lives. It merely deters us from committing atrocities. 
Someone who does good consistently does so out of a place of love. Never fear. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

The world is certainly a far more mystical place than what the eyes perceive. But that mysticism isn't for us.  For we have been warn...

Popular Posts